This page is kept updated semi-regularly with what we are up to now.
Last updated on August 1, 2019.
Annabelle and Cassian turned 3 and 1, respectively, at the beginning of 2019. Joe and Ali turned 34 and 33, respectively, in the middle of 2019. Ali is pregnant with baby #3, a girl, due in early December, 2019.
Keep reading below to see what we’re learning, reading, listening to, and where in the world we are now!
– We bought a house in July 2019 in the suburbs north of Seattle, Washington to be near near Joe’s family while the kids are young. After years of nomadic travel, it feels nice to be putting down some roots again.
Learning & Growing
– Joe is working on being present and developing discipline and habits. In 2019 he implemented a daily routine, which he’s done every day this year.
– Ali is painting, after taking a six-week painting class earlier this year.
– Annabelle is attending preschool 8:45am-11:15pm three days a week. She loves reading and is currently very into ballet and garbage trucks. She did a six-week ballet class earlier this year, and will be doing a swim class this summer.
– Cassian is walking around like a champ and loves eating.
Reading Non-fiction: – Annabelle loves the Berenstain Bears, Curious George, the Love Monster series, the Room on the Broom, and the Pout Pout Fish series. Listening Travel Other travel likely, TBD. Joe has also started camping/hiking again after a several year hiatus, (re)acquiring the necessary gear and doing multiple hikes. Completed so far: Working Charity “Now” page inspired by Derek Sivers.
– Joe is currently reading The Goblin Emperor and Super Thinking: The Big Book of Mental Models.
Click here to show/hide the list of all books Joe has read in 2019.
Click here to show/hide the list of all books Ali has read in 2019.
– Cassian has switched from mostly chewing on books to grabbing any book he can find and plopping in our laps to read.
– Ali is currently enjoying the following podcasts: Stuff You Missed in History Class, Everything is Alive, The Allusionist, The Teacher’s Pet, and My Favorite Murder.
– Joe is listening to Blinkist, a service that creates summaries of nonfiction books and provides them in both audio and ebook format.
We have completed the following trips in 2019:
– Boston (Ali. March 2019.)
– Temecula, CA (Joe, Ali, Annabelle, Cassian. April 2019.)
– New Jersey (Joe. April 2019.)
– Camp Mustache (Joe and Ali. Memorial Day 2019.)
And have the following trips planned:
– Minnesota (Joe. August 2019.)
– Temecula, CA (Ali, Annabelle, Cassian. August 2019.)
– Germany (Joe. September 2019.)
5/8/19 – Jay Lake (~14 mi., overnight)
5/17/19 – Snoqualmie Lake (~18 mi., overnight)
5/26/19 – Mt. Si (~10 mi., day hike)
6/6/19 – Coal Creek Trail (~6 mi., day hike)
6/9/19 – Free Fishing weekend! Joe and Annabelle fished out of a rubber boat at Martha Lake.
6/11/19 – Olallie Lake (~8 mi., overnight)
6/18/19 – Pratt Lake (~11 mi., overnight)
7/19/19 – Meadow Mountain (~35 mi., overnight)
8/5/19 – Snow Lake (~7 mi., day hike)
– We hit the four year anniversary of our early retirement in June of 2019.
– Our planned 2019 charitable donations total ~$5,200, mostly to overseas charities, due to a large influence from the excellent book by Peter Singer, The Life You Can Save.
– Joe is volunteering twice weekly at the local Habitat for Humanity, one day (~4 hour shift) in the office and one day (~6 hour shift) on the donation truck, lifting and moving donated construction materials and other items.
– Annabelle loves the Berenstain Bears, Curious George, the Love Monster series, the Room on the Broom, and the Pout Pout Fish series.
Other travel likely, TBD.
Joe has also started camping/hiking again after a several year hiatus, (re)acquiring the necessary gear and doing multiple hikes. Completed so far:
“Now” page inspired by Derek Sivers.